ePRAYER WALL
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Talent on loan from God" Devotional for August - Week Two

Go down

"Talent on loan from God"  Devotional for August - Week Two Empty "Talent on loan from God" Devotional for August - Week Two

Post  Chris Honeycutt Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:15 pm

"Talent on loan from God" is an oft-repeated, tongue-in-cheek line from the popular radio show host Rush Limbaugh used to describe his communication skills. But there is much spiritual wisdom to be found in such a phrase.

In the book of 2 Samuel, we read of David's moral failure. He astoundingly commits both the egregious act of murder and adultery... this coming from the man who would write the long-cherished book of Psalms. David was picked by God to slay the great giant Goliath. He was later made king of the united Kingdom of Israel.

In chapter 12, the prophet Nathan rebukes David:

7 .... Thus says the LORD God of Israel, 'It is I who anointed you king over Israel and it is I who delivered you from the hand of Saul. 8 'I also gave you your master's house and your master's wives into your care, and I gave you the house of Israel and Judah; and if that had been too little, I would have added to you many more things like these!

9 'Why have you despised the word of the LORD by doing evil in His sight? You have struck down Uriah the Hittite with the sword, have taken his wife to be your wife, and have killed him with the sword of the sons of Ammon. 10 'Now therefore, the sword shall never depart from your house, because you have despised Me and have taken the wife of Uriah the Hittite to be your wife.'

11 "Thus says the LORD, 'Behold, I will raise up evil against you from your own household; I will even take your wives before your eyes and give them to your companion, and he will lie with your wives in broad daylight. 12 'Indeed you did it secretly, but I will do this thing before all Israel, and under the sun.'"

David is not alone, however. The Bible is full of stories of folks who failed God with Judas Iscariot being the most notorious of the lot. He was an avid follower of Jesus who would later sell him out for thirty pieces of silver. Later, in his pathetic state of despair, he hung himself.

There is a similarity between the two men, in that both had potential but betrayed God out of their selfish desires; David for lust and Judas, being a rebellious Jew of that period, to see the Romans ousted by a Jewish King Messiah.

Instead of being the pious, devoted king that God wanted him to be, suffered a betrayal of his own, from his son Absalom. And instead of being a faithful apostle of Christ, Judas wound up alone and dead.

God sees so much potential in each and every one of us, giving us wonderful talents to use for His purpose, but how do we return the favor? The easy answer is faith demonstrated by our actions. Unfortunately, many Christians betray God and follow their own desires, just as David and Judas did, and they suffer the consequences for it later.

Look at the new pop star sensation Katy Perry. Never heard of her? Turn on your local "top-20" radio station, and sometime within the hour you will hear her smash-hit, "I Kissed a Girl". This song slyly introduces the theme of sexual exploration, and homosexual curiosity as "human nature". And guess what? Kids love the slick beats and catchy lyrics! It's currently #2 on the Billboard charts. A song such as this undoubtedly gives the devil a foothold into the mind of a generation of men and women, making them think such illicit behavior is "normal".

What you may not know about her is that she was a Christian recording artist 7 years ago. On her self-titled debut album, she went by "Katy Hudson" and wrote most every song on there, praising Jesus and singing sincerely on matters of faith. Somewhere down the line, she stepped away from God and towards the empty promise of fame and fortune.

With her reinvention as an edgy pop star, she joins a long list of people throughout the ages who were given great abilities and had potential to use them in a mighty way for the kingdom of God, but instead betrayed God. Like a little brat, they have essentially shoved the gift He generously gave them, right back in His face.

I do not wish swift-punishment-from-above on Katy Perry for her betrayal, but rather I pray for her redemption... which is not only possible, but God desires it for us.

After all, David continued to rule over Israel after his failings and subsequent repentance...

I Chronicles 29 says:

26 Now David the son of Jesse reigned over all Israel. 27 The period which he reigned over Israel was forty years; he reigned in Hebron seven years and in Jerusalem thirty-three years. 28 Then he died in a ripe old age, full of days, riches and honor; and his son Solomon reigned in his place.

So while Katy Perry is on top of the charts today, there will probably come a day when she's just a one-hit-wonder that had a provocative song that was a popular MySpace download. In other words, she will be a grain of sand in the beaches of music history (much less human history). She could be so much more and God certainly knows it! What we can achieve in life on our own pales in comparison to what God has in mind.

For all of us, it's never too late to turn to God and ask for forgiveness. While we might never get back on that original road that our past potential paved for us, God will use us greatly if we just follow him the rest of our days.

And that's much better than the alternative.

Amen!
Chris Honeycutt
Chris Honeycutt
Admin

http://www.chrishoneycutt.com

Back to top Go down