ePRAYER WALL
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Death has lost its sting!" Devotional for June - Week Two

2 posters

Go down

"Death has lost its sting!" Devotional for June - Week Two Empty "Death has lost its sting!" Devotional for June - Week Two

Post  Chris Honeycutt Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:41 pm

I did not cry at my grandparents’ funerals.

I did not “mourn” the loss of my dear spiritual mentor, Rev. J.L. Dutton.

I often find it hard to stir up emotions of sadness, loss, and depression when a brother or sister in the Lord passes from this life into the next.

Sounds bad, doesn't it? Now you some of y'all may peg me as uncaring, cold-hearted, or whatever adjective you want to inject into this description, but it’s true… it’s hard for me to mourn the death of a fellow faithful Christian (especially those more advanced in age). That’s because in reality it is an opportunity to rejoice!

See, many folks have no hope. There are people who simply choose a “fun-filled” path that leads to nowhere (only worse), rather than take a daily walk with the Lord. While they might lead an exciting life, they will drown out the hallowing echoes of sorrow with booze, drugs, sex, and mindless entertainment. The prospect of an eternity actually haunts them rather than inspires them!

On the other hand, Christians realize that while the path we take can be rougher, less "thrilling", and include a few more inclines than declines, we take comfort ultimately knowing it ends with eternal peace, comfort, and joy in the powerful presence of the Lord.

This “two paths” metaphor is reminiscent of Robert Frost’s famous poem, “The Road Not Taken” which ends with…

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
Took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

The majority of people in today’s world take the road that proudly proclaims, “live and let live”, “do what makes you happy”, and “live life to the fullest”. All such sayings have their roots in eastern religion which promotes no such idea of an afterlife, much less one of the heaven/hell persuasion.

In other words, "This is it! Once that person is dead and buried, you’ll never see them again!" The worldly person’s hope is that they don’t have to suffer too much during this life. Meanwhile, the Christian person’s hope is that if they have to suffer, that they suffer for the Lord’s sake and find solace in heaven.

Christianity is unique from other religions because of this hope and joy that only comes from knowing God more deeply. With that, we should celebrate (party hats and cake are most certainly optional) when someone we know who has been a loving, faithful follower of Jesus Christ, has died. They have "graduated", "been promoted", "moved on up", or whichever way you wish to express it.

However, it’s difficult for us to arrive at that frame of mind, particularly with the loss of close loved ones, as the human side of us fears the awful lie the devil tells us is true… "There’s nothing else out there!"

But we know better! (at we least ought to)

Christ never promised us “the good life” here on earth, but much better than that… an eternity of blessed fellowship with Him in paradise!

A simple summary is found in the fifth chapter of 1 John, which says:

"11 And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 12 He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life."

Amen!
Chris Honeycutt
Chris Honeycutt
Admin

http://www.chrishoneycutt.com

Back to top Go down

"Death has lost its sting!" Devotional for June - Week Two Empty Re: "Death has lost its sting!" Devotional for June - Week Two

Post  darlingbeth79 Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:34 am

I completely agree with this and have actually said this to other people. When I lost my precious grandmother it broke my heart. I know where she is! and for that I rejoice with her. The selfish part of me is still heart broken 1 1/2 years later knowing that in this life I won't hear her voice, see her smile, or hear her sing You Are My Sunshine to me or to my children. I miss her and am saddened that she will no longer be part of this life with me but would never in a lifetime wish her back in the state she left. that would hurt more. Thank you for your words!

darlingbeth79

Back to top Go down