ePRAYER WALL
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

School for my daughter

3 posters

Go down

School for my daughter Empty School for my daughter

Post  KatieInSC Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:44 am

I don't know whether to send my daughter to public school for 5K or to the place she currently goes (a church school). The problem is, Sophia needs help socially. She was "behind" her peers at age 3 and the Autism Division of the Darlington County Disabilities and Special Needs Board has been sending someone to her 4K class now and then to help her remember kids' names and help her initiate socially. Well, there was a meeting for the upcoming 5K students' parents and the teacher said, since it's only 3 hours long, the class was regimented every second of the day and it sounded like there was no room for socializing whatsoever. They are lucky if they get to go out to the playground at all. Plus, you know I have fibromyalgia. I am too tired to cook dinner and keep the kitchen clean every day. The teacher said there would be homework every single night in order to help the kids retain what they learn each day, since there's no time to cover everything that needs to be covered otherwise. So, here I am, already too tired to do what basic things need to be done around the house, and now I'm being told I will have to shoulder even more responsibility so that Sophia can keep up with her class. Things, however, might change for me before the next school year begins. My doctor has taken a special interest in my case and I'm considering massage therapy to deal with the neuralgia (nerve pain) I have in my back. So I might actually be able to deal with the basics around the house and do homework with Sophia by the time school starts. The decision, however, cannot wait past Friday. In fact, the earlier I register Sophia, the more likely she will get a spot in the church's 5K program. Registration begins Monday. I need wisdom and I need it quickly. So far, I don't feel a sense of peace about Sophia going to either school. I just want to do what's best for Sophia. I'll be talking to the school next week to find out just how much time Sophia would have to socialize if she went to the church's 5K program. Considering what I learned at the meeting, however, I seriously doubt socialization is a priority in the class there. Thanks. (Oh, and taking Sophia out to socialize outside of school is not an option. I already can't keep up with the house when I'm physically rested. Going out and doing things with Sophia is exhausting, so I can't do anything to help her in that regard.)

KatieInSC

Back to top Go down

School for my daughter Empty school

Post  free2love Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:42 pm

One phrase really stood out to me--"I don't have peace about either school"--follow that meter, girl. If you do not have peace about the situation, keep still and wait for direction. Easier said than done, I know, but just sit and wait. I will be glad to help you--just let me know how I can help. I am sure that there are any number of activities that we could come up to help Sophia.

Samantha

free2love

Back to top Go down

School for my daughter Empty decision made

Post  KatieInSC Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:17 pm

I've decided to let Sophia continue to go to the school she's in now. I checked out where Sophia would have to go to Kindergarten and "knew" it was not the place for her. Over the summer, I'll work to get Sophia on a schedule that will promote doing homework at a certain time and we'll go from there. The only thing I can say is, God never gives us something to do unless He gives us the means to do it. I believe, somehow, God will come through for us.

KatieInSC

Back to top Go down

School for my daughter Empty Re: School for my daughter

Post  Chris Honeycutt Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:04 am

Prayers are with y'all, Katie! Hope that the school situation works out for Sophia (who is cute as a button!)
Chris Honeycutt
Chris Honeycutt
Admin

http://www.chrishoneycutt.com

Back to top Go down

School for my daughter Empty Re: School for my daughter

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down